When it comes to preventing falls on worksites, there are a number of height safety options you can consider. One of these options is edge protection.
What is Edge Protection?
Edge protection is a type of height safety system that involves physical guardrails around the edges of rooftops and fragile at-height surfaces, including skylights and polycarbonate sheeting. These physical barriers can be permanent or temporary.
Edge Protection Requirements
Each edge protection system must satisfy a number of criteria to be considered safe and compliant. They must be provided at every open edge of a work platform and be strong enough to withstand the force of someone falling.
Edge protection systems must also be comprised of a handrail, mid-rail, and toe-board, or a handrail and brick guard.
The specific requirements of your edge protection system will differ depending on factors such as roof pitch, surface, and length. Below are some general components all edge protection systems must include.
- Top, mid and bottom rails or toe-boards with gaps not exceeding 450 mm. Where toe-boards are used in place of bottom rails they should be able to withstand the likely impact loads.
- Toe-boards or mesh infill to prevent tools, materials or debris falling from the roof, unless exclusion zones that prevent all personal access below the roof edge are in place.
- No gap between the roof edge, including the gutter, and a guardrail located outside the roof line exceeding 100 mm.
- A clear distance between the roof cladding and the bottom rail of no less than 150 mm and no greater than 275 mm.
- A guardrail height above the roof surface of no less than 900 mm (for roofs with a pitch over 10 degrees, the effective height should be measured from a point 300 mm inside the roof edge).
- Infill panels are used where the pitch of the roof exceeds 26 degrees.
If you need to install edge protection onto your worksite or roof, get in contact with Magic Glass today. Our team of Height Safety Technicians are experienced in installing all types of height safety hardware to all required Australian Standards.